My amateur analysis

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Trog on January 09, 99 at 18:17:56:

In Reply to: Overrated? posted by Wyrdwad on January 09, 99 at 16:19:57:

Well, I'm certainly not an expert, but I'll give it a shot.

I preface my thoughts with 2 disclosures. First, I believe that the power of rock music, as a genre, is dependent on attitude, energy and intensity. This is not the same as volume or speed. For example, the song Believe is incredibly intense, as is Taunting Cobras. I've heard heavy metal and thrash bands absolutely devoid of intensity no matter how loud and fast they played.

Second, for better or worse, my basis of comparison is Streets.

I agree that DWD has a lot of "atmosphere", but I don't perceive the emotion that you detect. I think it's almost over-produced. The emphasis is on musicianship and "artistry" (nah, I don't know what that means, but I know what I am trying to say), to the exclusion of all other aspects of "rock" music. The peaks and valleys seem manufactured to me.

And even to the extent that the emphasis is on artistry, the songs don't reflect the intensity of the story or the attitudes of the characters. That is, the transition is so smooth, reading the story and listening to each word is critical -- the songs almost blend together.

Finally, though I like Zak's voice, Jon is better suited to certain types of songs. He sings with a sneer -- an attitude.

A friend who was a theater major told me that I'm crazy. He suggested that I find Streets so powerful and intense only because I can identify with it. But, because I've never been in the service and don't know much about that war, I can't identify with DWD. For that reason alone, he maintains, it doesn't have the same impact on me.

I don't know. I'm not that smart. I just know what I feel.

I hope I made some sense.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]