Re: Wacken Review Wanted!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ernie on August 09, 98 at 12:47:25:

In Reply to: Wacken Review Wanted! posted by Clay on August 07, 98 at 18:26:27:

Hi,
Savatage played as headliners on Saturday, which meant VERY late (after midnight). So I thought most of the people there would be too tired to see them (it was after more than ten hours of metal, and Blind Guardian had just played before). But most people stayed (I guess somewhere between 12000 and 15000) and saw one of the best sets I've ever seen from the 'Tage (drum roll):
1. HotMK (great opener, but the worst sound of the day)
2. Chance
3. Jesus Saves (sound much better now, the usual party begins)
4. Wake Of Magellan (best version I've ever heard of this, VERY heavy)
5. Taunting Cobras
6. When The Crowds Are Gone ("Jon only" piano version, leading directly into
7. Believe (with full band again, great to hear it sung by so many people)
8. Dead Winter Dead
9. Edge of Thorns
10.Tonight He Grins Again (sung by Jon, announced as his favorite Sava song of all time!!)
11. Handful Of Rain
12. The Hourglass
13. Blackjack Guillotine
encores:
14. Gutter Ballet
15. Sirens (both sung by Jon & Zak)
16. This Is The Time
(not in the exact running order, except for the first few songs and the encores, but it's pretty close)

Some more notes: This band is just getting better and better as a live act. The vocal trading between Jon and Zak is nothing less than godly by now and I hope they're gonna do a lot more of that on the next studio album.
I haven't noticed any special merchandise at Wacken (only the TWOM shirt/back: that G. Smith painting of the TWOM story, and a shirt with only the logo on it).
As for the crowd reaction, just look at the setlist and take a guess...I promise it's not too hard.

bye,
Ernie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]