Re: "This is not your father's Savatage!!"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Mitchell on September 23, 98 at 14:34:18:

In Reply to: "This is not your father's Savatage!!" posted by Seneca on September 23, 98 at 13:36:43:

I disagree. Ok, there are bands where I expect, almost demand, that moshing take place. I was at the Slayer show at the Birch Hill last June, and the moshing was incredible; a great time was had by all. That's because Slayer is a band tailor made for it.

I find it very hard to justify moshing at a Savatage show. Taunting Cobras and Jesus Saves, MAYBE. But Handful of Rain moshing??? Come on, man, give me a break. Jumping up and down, screaming, head banging, clapping in time, etc are all perfectly acceptable ways to show your enthusiasm at a show that is not, in general, a mosh style show. I have attended 4 Savatage shows in the past year, as well as countless other bands at the Birch Hill. When I feel there is going to be moshing, and I don't feel like participating, I stand out of the way and let the people have their fun.

At a Savatage show, I should have no reason to think that it would take place, especially since it's never happened before at the shows I've attended, and I've never heard of it happening at other Savatage shows. I shouldn't have to stand out of the way, and sacrifice my excellent view at a Sava show because some guy is bigger and more violent than I am.

As far as the earplugs go; anyone who doesn't wear earplugs at a concert where the decibel ranges top 100+ is foolish. I can't remember all the people I've talked to who are 18 to 25 who have lost most of their upper range hearing because they had to be MANLY MEN (and women), and show everyone how cool they were. Every single one of them, and the list is huge, has told me that they wish they had worn ear plugs, because now they are too deaf to hear the full range of music. I plan on being able to enjoy concerts when I'm being brought in a wheelchair and am 90 yrs old. I would like to be able to hear them when I reach that age, and the only way to do that is to, you guessed it, protect my hearing and wear earplugs. I still hear every note and drum beat quite well, and don't have that annoying white noise ringing in my ears (which means that physical damage has taken place) for days afterwards.

As far as being totally motionless up front, that I wholeheartedly agree with. A band, especially a metal band, feeds off the energy of the crowd, and when you have a bunch of rapt zombies, the band gets bored very quickly, and it comes out in their music. Metal is a very emotion generated style of music, and in order for that to happen at a live performance, there needs to be lots of energy and emotion. I personally was very energetic at the show, and had trouble speaking for days afterwards. Same at the Port Jefferson show. Just because I don't prefer to mosh doesn't mean I have no right to stand up front, and I shouldn't be relegated to the back for it either.

I know I'm gonna get flamed three ways to Sunday for this, but so be it.

Sava fan forever!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]