Re: "This is not your father's Savatage!!"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Reichow on September 24, 98 at 21:40:58:

In Reply to: Re: "This is not your father's Savatage!!" posted by cadiehl on September 23, 98 at 17:42:27:

well I'll jump into the fire JUST this once (well maybe just once...)

I was one of the (semi)-motionless zombies in the front row at the Cleveland, Baltimore, Jaxx **AND*** Port Jefferson shows (woo-hoo!!). While I've never been (and never will be) a mosher, I'm up there banging away, interacting with Jon a lot, clapping and screaming my lungs out. I have my own way of enjoying the show. I was behind and to the right of "cadiehl" (the dude taping the show - right on brutha!) and Clay at the Jaxx show, and immediately in front and to the right of Seneca (wasn't your name John Bush or something like that? The dude in the hockey jersey?), and I saw/heard pretty much the whole exchange, and frankly it was kind of annoying not because of the moshing, but because all it did was detract from everyone's enjoyment of the show. Since I live in Minneapolis, I **DROVE** a total of 3,000 miles -- alone, over seven days -- on my Savatage road trip to see those four shows and get my "fix for '98". All I really wanted was to enjoy the shows in my own way and see six virtuoso musicians nail every note live, hang with them, and meet various people with whom I've corresponded online. Note that my goals did not include bruises or concussions.

I think Savatage is in the same class as Dream Theater and other highly technical artists like most of today's progressive metal acts, and those shows don't typically lend themselves to moshing - though I've seen many a concertgoer make fools of themselves (and get 86ed from the club) trying.

Frankly, I think the switch from moshing to simply enjoying Savatage concerts happened in 1993 when Zach Stevens took over singing; it was at the EOT concerts that I first heard the crowd singing at all! In fact, I marveled at the crowd singing along at all at a Savatage show (that was a novelty in its own time). Before that, there was lots of headbanging (this was the '80s, after all), but no moshing.

Also, Savatage is too much musicians' music for me to not "take it in" as such - it takes concentration. Furthermore, Savatage concerts are practically personal and spiritual recharge times for me...that's just how it is.

Do what you like...just let everyone enjoy the show in peace!

-Brian
(Keeper of the Official Savatage FAQ, Discography & Rarities Pages)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]