Re: Does anybody know Labyrinth?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jill on November 02, 98 at 20:40:37:

In Reply to: Does anybody know Labyrinth? posted by Patrick on November 02, 98 at 07:45:37:

I only picked up their CD recently, but I love it already. It's really good power metal with lots of cool keyboard work. I would describe their sound as bearing influences from Hammerfall, Startovarius, Malmsteen, and Iron Maiden. The only drawbacks I founbd on this CD is that in places, the influences are way too obvious, as if they borrowed a little too heavily from their idols. That, and too many of the fast-tempo tracks sounded similar; given it's power metal, and that happens, but still....

Highlights for me: the fabulous guitar work and solos (kind of puts me in mind of Criss too, not stylistically, but for the virtuosity and creativity aspects); the vocalist (he has the usual power metal vocals, but manages to sing clearly so that the lyrics can be understood); and the drumming, which was awesome. I know in the liner notes of the CD, the drummer cited Gene Hoglan as an influence, and it shows, this guy is great! It makes for an overall great listen, so any Savatage fans out there who are also fans of power metal should like this a lot!

Jill

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]