Friday the 13th concert-review

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Yvonne on November 14, 98 at 13:22:46:

Hi everybody,

Friday the 13th (november in Tilburg)
CONCERT-REVIEW

So here's the story.
I don't believe in omens anymore, it sure was my "lucky" day !!!
It was everything I dreamed of and more.

I read on this messageboard a few weeks ago the guys like chocolate.
The case in Holland is, in this time of the year, we celebrate "Sinterklaas" (it's like Santaclaus in the States) and it's a custom to eat lots of chocolate which is made in letters.
So I bought 6 little chocolateletters of the S (Savatage) hoping to be able to give it to the guys.

6 o'clock in the afternoon off to Tilburg.

First of all the Venue 013 in Tilburg.
It was the opening night of a new concert-hall specially designed and build for this kind of concerts. I wish you all could see the place, it's beyond expectations.
It's all black inside with metal details (like the bars and railings) so lightshows are great there.
The hall is build like a staircase, in steps, and is very broad instead of small and deep. Even the balconys are build in steps !
So wherever you stand you get a good view at the stage and the feeling that you're very close to the band.

We were standing behind the sound- and lighttable.
There was the lightman TAZ who was so kind to give me the setlist afterwards.
Before the show began, Chris paid a visit to Taz so I got the chance to give him the little present for the guys of the band (WOW !).

At 9.20 they started playing, here's the list again in case you haven't read it already.
(This is the way it was written on the original setlist I got from this nice guy Taz(mania devil))
NOTHING GOING ON
CHANCE
JESUS SAVES
-------------------------
TAUNTING COBRAS
EDGE OF THORNS
BLACK JACK
WAKE/1 CHILD/STORM/
GRINS
NYC/STARE/I AM
STARLIGHT
STREETS/WINGS/
GHOST
HEAL MY SOUL
LITTLE TOO FAR
BELIEVE
CITY/DUNGEON/SIREN
GUTTER

1st
SILK/SLEEP/BLEED
NOT WHAT YOU SEE
2nd
WAY/POWER/HOUR
MT.KING/12-24

Thanx again TAZ !!!

WOW, 2 hours of rocking and singing along with 2200 fans.
Jons, moving to tears, piano pieces on heal my soul and believe. I said to him after the show, they are the only rockband I ever saw getting the audience quiet and listening. He said he mostly can hear a pin drop during his piano parts and see the tears in peoples eyes which in reverse moves him very much.
The beautiful guitarsolo on ghost of Chris.
An acoustic first encore with in it Silk and Steel (must have been odd playing live for Chris).
On top of it all Chris climbed on one of the loudspeakers and dived into the crowd.
What more is there to wish for ? I know lots of you out there never had the chance of seeing them live, I hope one day you will get it.
After the show we (my husband Kees and I) were trying to get back stage (we had passes).
And we got there !!
There they were, all very nice and easy going.

Jon Oliva sitting back in a chair answering all the questions of the people in there with all patience and obvious enjoying it. Showing me his little pigpuppet on his bag, well Jon you're a very cuddly kind of pig to me !
Johnny Lee Middleton what a nice guy you are, recognizing my legion t-shirt and telling about this website. You told me it has become very expensive over the years and that the merchandising you guys sell contributes to keep it running. So people go out and buy the stuff and don't buy the illegal shit you can get everywhere, that's not supporting the band (read website) !!
Jeff Plate set back with a tomato-red-head, tired of this 2 hours of hard work he had to pull off, but he as well took all the time to talk with people, telling about the shopping day in Tilburg they had yesterday and talking to this guy (a drummer) and taking all the time for him.
Zachary Stevens was enjoying the good things in live, he's starting to sound more and more like Jon (only when he's agressive he told me) and creates a hell of a mountain king on stage!
Chris Caffery running back and forth the place, having fun with Matthias Breusch (the rock- hard journalist from Germany who did the Savatage legends-story that Ellen Bakvis (was there as well, so I now know the face that goes along with the e-mail, nice meeting you) is translating on this site for you).
He wasn't writing a tourdiary yet, maybe he's thinking it over now?
All Pitrelli was the serious one tonight, after two hours trying to get everyone in the bus because they had to hit the road for Paris.

2 o'clock in the night they left the building.

Thanx guys for the good time we got to share with you :-))

Hope you all enjoy reading this review and ever get the chance to meet them as well, they're great!!

Love Yvonne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]