Re: Help On A Charvel Guitar

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Wehrstedt on November 15, 98 at 14:11:04:

In Reply to: Help On A Charvel Guitar posted by MikeW on November 14, 98 at 18:55:37:

I was going through a Cash Converters store today and I came across a Charvel Guitar and I need some help identifying it. Its
head stock was like a Jacksons (not reversed). And It had Charvel written on the head exactly like Jackson Is written. It had
one single coil pick up by the neck and a humbucker by the bridge. The Humbucker was on a slant (like this, \). Any help on
this guitar would be appreciated.

The guitar has so many similarities to a Jackson because Charvel is owned by Jackson. It's quite common to have two companies that market basically the same guitars. Many high-end instrument producers have a second brand-name for their lower-end instruments.

Gibson sells its lower end instruments under the name Epiphone, Ovation sells its under the name Applause, etc.

I always assumed that Charvel was for the lower end Jackson guitars, but this relationship isn't quite as clearly defined, especially sinse Charvel released their San Dimas models which were quite pricy. When I visited one site (URL below), I found the answer:

"[after 1985,] the Charvel trade mark came to designate any bolt-on or neck-through guitar being made in Japan, while the Jackson logo was used for American-made instruments."

Follow the link to one site that can give more information about Charvel-Jackson as well as a "How To Identify your Charvel-Jackson" guitar section.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Savatage WWW Message Board ] [ FAQ ]